Growing high performing teams is hard. In Scrum, this is the primary responsibility of the ScrumMasters. But unlike traditional processes, the ScrumMaster does not have formal authority. She cannot “make” the team do as she wants. How can a ScrumMaster then be effective in helping the team meet the growing demands of the market?
This interactive two-day workshop helps you find several answers to this question. It will equip a ScrumMaster with the skills to become a facilitator, an enabler, a leader and a servant. The attendees will learn how to lead the team through change, motivate their colleagues, organize effective Scrum meetings and build their relations through feedback and coaching.
Through short lectures, games, group activities and discussions, you will learn what are the skills that you already possess, what you should work on and how.
Who should attend
- ScrumMasters with at least six months of experience in this role.
- Experienced team leaders who want to empower their teams more.
- Managers who want to better understand what the ScrumMaster role means.
- You believe that your team has greater potential and want to unlock it
- The meetings you facilitate are sometimes boring or ineffective
- You wonder what’s your next step on the continuous improvement journey
- Your team is not acting as a unit, but as a group of individuals
- You have ideas for changes, but nobody seems to listen to them
- You’re tired of being considered a “glorified secretary”
- Get new ideas for games and activities to run with your team
- Facilitating Meetings
Group discussion about how to plan and facilitate every type of meeting.
- Facilitating the Sprint Planning, Sprint Review, Daily Scrum and Backlog Refinement
Dive into the particularities of each of these meetings. We’ll come up with checklists of what to do before, during and after each of them.
- Facilitating the Retrospective
Since this is probably the most important ceremony in Scrum, we dedicate a good portion of time to it. We discuss fresh and energizing formats for sprint and release retrospectives and how to base your improvement initiatives on metrics.
- Planning and Controlling the Release
How do you plan an agile release/project? How do you make sure its goals are reached?
- Lean and Kanban
In this module we’ll learn how to use lean thinking to remove waste and Kanban practices to increase development flow.
- Visual Management
We’ve all seen boards with the boring “To do”, “Doing”, “Done” columns. During a fun and interactive group activity, we’ll learn how to use the power of visualization to capture many more concepts like assignments, upcoming work, types of work, limits, blocked items etc.
- Team Dynamics
We’ll start the day by considering the team as a living organism. We’ll analyze the stages it goes through on its journey to high performance, how it defines its values and what dysfunctions may appear.
- Servant Leadership
Next, we’ll cover this fundamental aspect of the ScrumMaster role. How to lead without formal authority?
- Talking with the Team
Most of the effect the ScrumMaster will have is done via conversations with her colleagues. In this module, we discuss empathy, listening levels, engaging in constructive dialogue and giving feedback.
- How to Assess Your Process
In this part the ScrumMaster will get multiple lenses through which she can look at the process and identify improvements.
- How to Catalyze Change
Now that you know what to change, how do you go about convincing your colleagues, managers and Product Owners to start and sustain a change initiative?
- The Agile Fluency™ Model
We’ll see the four levels of agile fluency and you can determine which one your team is at.
- Your Next Steps as a ScrumMaster
In the closing of the workshop, you’ll be guided in a reflection meant to help you identify the next steps in your career.
- Included: welcome coffee, lunch and coffee breaks
- Training language: English/Romanian
- Participants will receive a certificate of attendance
Note: ‘Agile Fluency’ is a trademark of James Shore and Diana Larsen
Need a customized workshop? Contact us and we’ll adapt the content as required.