Coaching for Leaders: Exploring All Coaching Stances
If you have been a technical leader, a manager, an agile coach, or even worked on an agile team, you have coached people. And, have you noticed that sometimes your coaching has gone awry? Or that your coaching is not as effective as you would like it to be? You may not have thought about all of the possible coaching stances. Some of us prefer the teaching stance. Some of us prefer the modeling stance. Some, the hands-on expert stance. But, coaching can be much more than that. The most effective coaching is about offering options with support. But how do you do that, especially if you are coaching peers or your managers?
Who should attend
This course aims at technical leaders, managers, agile coaches.
In this master class, we will explore the coaching stances available to you. We will practice coaching and, you will discover other possibilities you can take back to your work, whether you coach inside the organization or at a distance.
1. Welcome and introductions
2. Simulation of a coaching activity and debrief
3. What is coaching?
- We will define coaching, mentoring, feedback, teaching, and when to use which, and when they slide into each other
4. Discuss the general coaching approach
- How do you help people see the problem?
- What do you do when the problem is bigger than your role?
- Which coaching tools can you bring to the problem?
- Generating options – Discuss options vs. discuss steps. What different people can hear.
- Evaluating options – Work through results vs. consequences. What different people can hear.
- Develop SMART goals
- Practice, practice, practice!
5. Explore coaching stances
- What is your most common stance? Why?
- Inflicting help and how to avoid it
- Congruence and how that helps
6. Implementing coaching
- More practice
7. Summary and wrap-up
- Included: welcome coffee, lunch and coffee breaks
- Language: English
- Participants will receive a certificate of attendance
Need more information? Contact us and we’ll help you choose the right course for you.