A Coding Dojo is a team practice format that accelerates knowledge transfer and sharing skills between team members. With an experienced facilitator, it is also a way of learning by applying various techniques.
Why should attend
The following skills are typical candidates for improvement during a dojo:
- Simple design
- Clean code
- Improving pair programming technique
- How to safely modify code you don’t understand (usually legacy code)
- Learning a new programming language
- Unit testing
- Test driven development
In addition, coding dojo can be used by a team as a collective and structured way of solving difficult or risky problems related to production, like fixing a bug or redesigning parts of the application.
The basic format of a coding dojo:
- All developers and the facilitator gather in a room.
- The facilitator introduces the purpose and the format of the coding dojo.
- One laptop with a functional development environment is connected to a projector.
- Two developers pair program on the laptop. The others are in the room, watching the code changes.
- Every 7 minutes, one developer leaves the laptop and the next one from the room takes his place.
- After a specified period of time (usually around two hours), the dojo ends with a retrospective.
It is recommended to organize practice dojos recurrently, for example one every two weeks, and production dojos whenever they are needed.
- You need a laptop with a fully working development environment to use during the class.
- Training language: English/Romanian/French
- Participants will receive a certificate of attendance
Need a customized schedule? Contact us and we’ll adapt it to respond to your constraints.