This workshop is aimed to improve the knowledge of experienced programmers on how to evolve a software system. It is a practical workshop, with hands-on coding exercises and discussions around design options.
Evolutionary Design is the practice of growing a system in a natural way, by adding the minimum amount of code to satisfy the business needs in an iterative and incremental approach. When done right, the code structure changes continuously to optimize for change, thus allowing a constant speed of development for longer periods of time.
Who should attend
- Programmers with at least 3 years experience with Unit Testing and at least 1-year experience with Test Driven Development on a daily basis
- Use Patterns and Guidelines of system evolution in a natural way
- Understand the risks of taking smaller or bigger steps in the evolution of a system
- Start a system for the current business needs while keeping in mind the possible future changes
- Intro about Evolutionary Design
- Roots of Design, Test Driven Development, and Evolutionary Design
- Design Focus: optimize for changeability
- Schools of TDD: Classicist, Mockist. Is there a battle?
- Exercise: Classicist TDD
- Deductive vs Inductive Evolutionary Design
- Exercise: Mockist TDD
- Normalize, Optimize, Maximize Growth
- Discussion: Patterns of evolving a software system
- Taking Baby Steps – The Software Design Dimension
- Exercise: Take only one design decision at a time
- Entry point. From where to start evolving a system?
- Exercise: choose several entry points and check the implementation difference
- Four Elements of Simple Design
- Exercise: Focus on refactoring
- Feedback & Retrospective
- Very good knowledge of unit testing, refactoring
- Experience with applying Software Design concepts, principles and guidelines
- Practical knowledge of Test Driven Development
- Laptop with installed Unit Testing Framework for your preferred language
- 40% hands-on coding
- 30% discussing on code and understanding evolution options
- 30% lectures
- Continuous Feedback
- Continuous Q&A
- Duration: 2 days
- Training language: English
- Experiential, hands-on, interactive online learning with practical examples
- Participants will be awarded a Mozaic Works certificate of completion
Need a customized workshop? Contact us and we’ll adapt the content as required.