This 3-day advanced workshop is aimed to improve the knowledge of experienced programmers on how to evolve a software system. It is a practical workshop, with coding exercises and discussions around design options.
Evolutionary Design is the practice of growing a system in a natural way, by adding the minimum amount of code to satisfy the business needs in an iterative and incremental approach. When done right, the code structure changes continuously to optimize for change, thus allowing a constant speed of development for longer periods of time.
Who should attend
Programmers with at least 3 years experience with Unit Testing and at least 1 year experience with Test Driven Development on a daily basis
- Evolve a system exactly on the current needs while keeping in mind the possible changes.
- Use Patterns and Guidelines of system evolution in a natural way
- Understand risks of taking smaller or bigger steps in the evolution of a system
- Intro about Evolutionary Design
- History of Design, Test Driven Development and Evolutionary Design
- Design Focus: optimize for changeability
- Exercise: Identify the risk of change
- Schools of TDD: Classicist, Mockist. Is there a battle?
- Exercise: Classicist TDD
- Deductive vs Inductive Evolutionary Design
- Exercise: Mockist TDD
- Normalize, Optimize, Maximize Growth
- Discussion: Patterns of evolving a software system
- Taking Baby Steps – The Software Design Dimension
- Exercise: Take only one design decision at a time
- Entry point. From where to start evolving a system?
- Exercise: choose several entry points and check the implementation difference
- Four Elements of Simple Design
- Exercise: Focus on refactoring
- Feedback & Retrospective
- Very good knowledge of unit testing, refactoring
- Experience with applying Software Design concepts, principles and guidelines
- Practical knowledge of Test Driven Development
- 40% hands-on coding
- 30% discussing on code and understanding evolution options
- 30% lectures
- Continuous Feedback
- Continuous Q&A
- Duration: 3 days, from 09:00 to 17:30
- Training language: English / Romanian / French
- Organize internal group practice sessions to solidify and level your team knowledge about Evolutionary Design.
- Schedule a few Hands-on Training on the Job sessions with the trainer so that you will apply the concepts in production.
Need a customized workshop? Contact us and we’ll adapt the content as required.