Microservices are taking the world by storm but it implies more than what is currently marketed. This workshop details how a proper microservices architecture should work: zero-configuration, highly-redundant, fault-tolerant, self-healing mechanism with auto-discovery. We will specifically focus on such an implementation with Docker and Node.js and the principles are applicable to any modern language.
Who Should Attend
Participants will learn how to;
- apply the best practices of microservices
- structure microservices applications and break down a monolith into a microservice
- set up Docker and create Docker images for microservices
- create a cloud environment in Docker Cloud for CI/CD
- deploy the application to a cloud provider
- learn scalability, redundancy, high-availability techniques
- do rolling upgrades on deployed services for zero-downtime deployments
- An example e-commerce application developed in Node.js with microservices
- A realback-office and a front-end application that update with orders and purchases in real-time
- Designing for microservices communication
- Data denormalization and client-side joins
- Preparing Docker images
- Running a full-stack application in docker-compose
- Creating a CI/CD pipeline with GitHub and Docker Cloud
- Rolling out a new update for the deployed software
- Participants should have a very basic knowledge of microservices and Node.js. A working installation of the latest version of Node.js and Docker are required so that we don’t waste time during the workshop. Participants should bring either Mac or Linux laptops. While the technologies we use are also available on Windows, no guarantee can be made if they will work coherently on Windows.
- We’ll ask you to fork a repository on GitHub, so it’s a good idea to have an account there. A DigitalOcean account is advised to efficiently participate in the CI/CD stage (— all participants can sign up for a free DigitalOcean account and receive 20$ in credits provided by Docker Cloud).
Need more information? Contact us and we’ll help you choose the right course for you.