This is a two-day course in which you will learn about an effective software development technique called Behaviour-Driven Development. At the end of this practical training you’ll have a better understanding on how to have everyone aligned on requirements, tests and the actual state of implementation.
Plenty of carefully crafted exercises will give you a practical perspective on improved collaboration between all roles, including Software Developers, Testers, Business Analysts.
Who should attend
Anyone involved in the software delivery process will benefit from this course. This includes the next roles:
- Product Owners
- Business Analysts
- User Interface Experts
- Scrum Masters
- Team Leaders
First day is applicable to anyone involved in the delivery of software.
The second day is all about implementing Behaviour-Driven Development using the tool Cucumber. This day may be most interesting for developers and testers working with test automation. It is also important for business analysts, product owners, etc. You will get a better understanding of effective test automation.
After this course you will be able to
- Facilitate exploratory workshop where you explore and understand the problem
- Know the difference between a good and bad example
- Be able to use Cucumber for automating your acceptance tests
- Stay clear of the trap with slow and unreliable tests
Day 1. The fundamentals of Behaviour-Driven Development
The first day is about the skills that are needed for modern software development. It is applicable to anyone involved in the delivery of software (Business analysts, Product owners, Developers, Testers, User interface experts, Scrum masters, Team leaders).
- The fundamental practices about BDD
- Three Amigos – a discovery workshop format suitable for exploring a problem
- Example Mapping – a technique for creating shared understanding
- The importance of concrete examples
- The difference between examples and rules
- Translating concrete examples into Gherkin (Given/When/Then)
You will not need a computer the first day. We will use pen and paper.
Day 2. Implementing Behaviour-Driven Development
The focus for the second day is implementing Behaviour-Driven Development. We will use Cucumber. The exercises build on what you learned during day one. We will implement the examples so they can be used for test automation.
This day may be most interesting for developers and testers working with test automation. It is also important for Business analysts, Product owners and UXs as you will get a better understanding of the work that is put into the test automation.
We will work with:
- Writing scenarios
- Implementing steps that connect the scenario to the code
- Adding parameters to scenarios
- Scenario outlines, data tables, tags and hooks
- The red-green-refactor cycle
- Techniques for keeping steps clean and maintainable
- A computer with a Java development environment installed. If you don’t have one, you can join someone who has. The best way to learn is to work in pairs to solve the exercises.
- Duration: 2 days
- Training language: English
Need a customized workshop? Contact us and we’ll adapt the content as required.